Tuesday, May 22, 2012

End of the Year Freebie!

We are down to 5 days of school left! I can't believe it! The days seem to go so slow at times but I'm always wondering where the year has gone during these last couple weeks of school. During the last week of school, I always have my students write letters of advice and encouragement to the incoming 2nd graders next year. They L-O-V-E doing this because it makes them feel so grown up to be giving advice to younger kids!

On the first day, I make a 3-column chart with these categories: what we learned about, what we had fun doing, and tips and advice. I have the students help brainstorm ideas for these 3 categories and then I add them to the chart. My students then use these ideas to help them write a letter to a future second grader. I tell them that they need to have at least one idea from each category in their letter. I also explain to them that the letter is actually going to be given to an incoming 2nd grader at Open House night in the fall. They get so unbelievably excited when they find this out! After my students complete their letters, I put them in a file and hang onto them until the fall when Open House rolls around. I then get the letters out and roll each one up and tie a ribbon around it. I place a letter at each student's desk so that they can read it either during the Open House or at home. I've heard from parents that these letters really helped to ease the fears and worries of their children!

I thought that I would share the letters that I use for this activity in case you are interested in doing it with your students. Just click on the picture below to download this freebie to use in your classroom! Included are letters for Kindergarten through fourth grade. I hope you enjoy! Happy Tuesday!


5 comments:

  1. I have been wanting to do this at the end of this year. Thanks for sharing these!

    Lisa
    Learning Is Something to Treasure

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this idea!! I've done something similar, but love giving the letters to the students...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erin,
    Thank you for all your help and support with my blog set up and my grade level kid friendly standards.I have passed on the Lovely Blog Award to you. Check it out on my latest blog post. Thanks for everything!

    ReplyDelete