Saturday, October 13, 2012

Compound Word Day!

Yesterday, we had Compound Word Day in our classroom to celebrate compound words! I saw this idea online last year and tried it out with my class. It was such a hit and sooo much fun! For Compound Word Day, I encourage my students to try to wear as many compound words as they can think of. Last year I had a student who wore over 20 compound words and I thought that was unbelievable. This year, though, I had a student come in wearing over 30 compound words. Her parents even made a list of all of the compound words she was wearing! =) It was adorable. She had on a bathrobe, sweatshirt, earrings, necktie, butterfly keychain, and so much more. I also had one of my boys wear his swimsuit (trunks) to school- it was hysterical! At the end of the day, we also enjoyed snacks consisting of goldfish and popcorn... yum!

If you'd like to have a Compound Word Day in your classroom, below is a letter that you can send home to your students' families explaining what to do. It's a FREEBIE so snatch it up!


Happy Saturday everyone!

 

3 comments:

  1. LOVE this idea... wish I wasn't finished with compound words! I will save it for next year! Thanks!

    PS: When I clicked on the Google doc, it said I had to request permission to be able to access the file.

    Kate
    EduKate and Inspire

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun. We did a "Dictionary" Day and had students dress up as one of our vocabulary words.

    Laurie
    Chickadee Jubilee

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am doing this soon in my classroom and was wondering what activities and such you did throughout the day. We are actually have a Word Parade at our school and my grade is doing compound words so we need fun activities to do during the day.

    ReplyDelete